Founders Brewing Co Old Curmudgeon
Old Curmudgeon Old Ale
Founders Brewing Co.
Grand Rapids, MI USA
12 oz bottle
An old ale style brew from Founders. This beer is released in May this year, but since it is still April, I imagine this will be gone before May arrives. Old Curmudgeon comes in 9.8% ABV with 50 IBUs.
The color is a darker amber, and a vigorous pour brings almost no head. A sweet but subtle aroma from the glass. Big caramel and toffee flavors up front thanks to the molasses added during brewing. Followed by the big maltiness that the style is associated with. The finish has a bit of oak along with a surprising amount of hops. Not a ton, but a noticeable amount. Something you don't usually get with an old ale. Also more than I remember in previous versions of this beer.
A solid release and one that I look forward to each year. Though this years may lean more towards an American Barleywine in flavor, still worth checking out. A good sipper for the last cool nights before the summer heat kicks in.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment